You are viewing an unstyled version of Title of Site. Title of Site looks and works best in a browser that properly supports web standards.

Free browsers that properly support web standards include:

[ Skip Navigation ]

Seal of the State of Illinois

Williamson County Courthouse - 407 N. Monroe St. Marion, IL 62959

Courthouse History

Williamson County Courthouse
200 W. Jefferson
Marion, IL 62959
Established:
February 28, 1839 (Laws, 1839, p. 110)
Origin of the name of the county:
Named after Williamson County in Tennessee through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Present area, or parts of it, formerly included in:
1699 French establish Cahokia
1703 French establish Kaskaskia
1763 France loses French and Indian War
1765 British troops take control
1765-1778 Britain rules Illinois
1776 American colonies declare independence
1778 Virginia troops capture Illinois
1778-1784 Illinois Co., Virginia
1787 Northwest Territory forms
1790 - 1795 Split between Knox and St. Clair Counties
1795 - 1801 Split between Knox and Randolph Counties
1801 Indiana Territory organizes
1801-1809 Randolph Co., Indiana Territory
1809 Illinois Territory organizes
1809 - 1812 Randolph County, Illinois Territory
1812 - 1816 Split between Randolph, Johnson, and Gallatin Counties
1816 - 1818 Split between Jackson and Gallatin Counties
1818 Illinois becomes a state
1818-1839 Franklin
1816-1818 Jackson
1812-1818 Gallatin
1812-1816 Johnson
1795-1816 Randolph
1790-1801 Knox, Northwest Territory
County Seat
1839-Marion
History of county governing board:
1839-1849 County Commissioners’ Court
1849-1873 County Court
1873-1907 Board of County Commissioners
1907-1933 County Board of Supervisors
1933-Present Board of County Commissioners
Documented Record Losses
May 30, 1875-Fire Some records lost or damaged.
Township Government
Adopted: November 5, 1907
Discontinued: November 1, 1932
Township Names (Late 19th Century Precinct Names):
Row 8 South: Western, Greenville, Herrin, Lake Creek, and Northern
Row 9 South: Eight Mile, Cartersville, Bainbridge, Marion, Denison, Crab Orchard, and Rock Creek
Row 10 South: Grassy, Southern, Union, Creal Springs, and Saline
Township Names (1907-1932):
Blairsville
Carterville
Corinth
Crab Orchard
Creal Springs
East Marion
Grassy
Herrin
Lake Creek
Southern
Stonefort Name changed from Saline on January 4, 1908.
West Marion

Building Comm.


January 8, 1965
By Resolution of the County Board; Voted to establish building comm.
January 12, 1965
Published Resolution
March 22, 1965
Resolution filed
November 20, 1968
Resolution to enter into lease agree with P13C on a 2-1 split vote: 1(R)-1(D)-1(DNO)
1984
Bonds expans by lease
February 1992
Rufunded for ADA and improvements
County Map
Williamson County Map and Townships
Click on thumbnail to view a map of Williamson County and its congressional townships

Williamson Courthouse Utilizes Heat-of Light

The new Williamson County Courthouse at Marion is ultra-modern in every respect, particularly where its heating system is concerned.

Heat-of-light, an innovative system which utilizes heat emitted by lighting fixtures, is a special feature of this 36,000-square-foot building. Although the system already is in operation in several CIPS office buildings, the Williamson County Courthouse is the first government building in the CIPS service areas with a heat-of-light installation.

Dedication ceremonies for the courthouse were held Friday, Nov. 19, as part of a two-day public open house that weekend. More than 500 persons attended the dedication.

By using the heat-of-light concept, courthouse designer achieved a heating system that is both modern and economical to operate.

Heat gained from the lighting fixtures fulfills the building’s heating requirements about 60 percent of the time, with supplemental baseboard and duct heaters making up the difference on colder days. Because lighting fixtures continuously produce heat while operating, it is economically advantageous to capture and use this energy.

Heat-of-light systems operate by drawing air through specially designed lighting fixtures mounted in a suspended ceiling. As air passes through the fixtures, it is heated by the fluorescent lamps and ballasts.

Enclosed Area Acts As Duct

The enclosed area above the suspended ceiling acts as a large duct to return the warm air to a blower, which then forces the air through the supply ducts and back into the rooms. As the air circulates, it is drawn through the fixtures again and the cycle is repeated. When additional heat is required, the electric baseboard and duct units in the area involved are energized automatically via thermostatic control.

To provide air conditioning during the summer months, cooling coils are located in front of the blower. In addition, the warm air created by the lighting fixtures is exhausted to the outside during the air-conditioning season.

The lighting arrangement in the new courthouse is just as modern and efficient as the heating system. Fluorescent fixtures provide approximately 1509 footcandles of light in all areas of the building-about five times more illumination than in the old courthouse and significantly greater than the 100-footcandle level recommended for office lighting by the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES).

Illumination At 159 Footcandles

At 150 footcandles, illumination is equivalent to that directed by a 200-watt light bulb on a surface 18 inches away. The courthouse fixtures, however, provide this illumination without harsh glare.

In addition to the heating and lighting systems, the courthouse’s major electrical load includes water heaters, 25- and 40-horsepower elevator motors, a 75-horsepower blower motor, 85 tons of air conditioning capacity and a humidifying system.

Construction Started in 1969

Construction on the three-level brick building was started in September, 1969, and completed this past fall, with Bearden Construction Co. of Marion serving as general contractor.

Because of the natural slope of the land site, the first two levels of the courthouse have direct entrances from the outside. The first floor may be entered from the parking area on the north side, while the second floor is at ground level on the south side.

In addition to a lobby, the lower level contains offices for county officials, including commissioners, clerk, treasurer, tax collector and tax supervisor.

The middle level is devoted to court-related activities. There are two jury courtrooms, two non-jury courtrooms and offices for judges, state’s attorney, coroner, bailiff, probation officer, court reporters and circuit clerk.